Sunday, April 6, 2014

UNWORTHY OF SERIOUS ATTENTION

This is a definition of "frivolous". So is "acting with inappropriate silliness".  In Buddhist practice, it is a slogan to "not be frivolous". There is also the teaching of not falling into aggression, passion or ignorance. My guess is that frivolity is most often coupled with ignorance.


Ignorance about what?


Well, if I examine my day, I find a helluva lot of what little "extra time" I do have is spent on feeling exhausted and watching movies on my computer or on dvds. For me, I find this is a way to let my mind play in a playground of others' images and words. (Very rarely are these serious films.) Even more rarely am I not interrupted during the screening of these movies. (Phone calls; family interruptions; the dog's needs; an appointment half-way through the film; side jokes and conversations, etc.) These always water down the viewing of any film and create a false experience. At the very least, it doesn't honor the filmmakers. At the worst, it is "white noise" for my mind. A way of zoning out and not being present for anyone.


Why is this ignorant? Why is this frivolity? Can't I even take a break for a little while, each day?


Well, it falls into being "frivolous action" when I find myself dozing half-way through. (Unfrivolous action would be to take a nap or go to bed early, for once.) Ignorance of what I really need is reflected in the poor choice of actions. If my mind needs a break, a good book would better ease it. Or, weather permitting, a walk. Some yoga could help me unwind and refresh. Or Tai Chi.   


It is also frivolous when I might use the time writing seriously, OR meditating. While both of these are best done with no interruptions, either, I might at least get a bit of a start that could work itself into a focused session.(Same with painting.) Taking myself a bit more seriously will get me closer to my Highest Point, whereas a mindless film might take my attention away from a hard day's work for a moment, but will gain me no enlightenment. (It won't even make me feel better about myself or my conscious choices of spending life energy.) Snoozing through one more re-run of "Godzilla" won't make me a stronger writer--nor a stronger "anything".


Now, watching a movie once in a while, crashed out on the bed, or while munching a bowl of hot popcorn, is a valid respite--but it isn't a way to spend an entire day. (I find myself often doing this.) Sure, I also attend to laundry; taking out the trash; feeding the dog; shopping for groceries; but mostly I'm doing nothing but vaguely paying attention to a film that went directly to video--or worse, one I've seen in the past and didn't even really enjoy the first time. (Again, why?)


This is where analyzing and examining our lives can lead us to make changes that will lead  to enlightened lives. Not damning myself for these ignorant lapses, but just noticing. Questioning. Pursuing the "why" of the choice. Then, to stop for a moment before making that choice the next time. Perhaps taking a breath or two. Doing a bit of tonglen practice before hitting the "play" button. Breaking the mindless cycle. Making a better choice the next time just because I took a conscious moment to think through my action.


At that second, even if it is only for a second, I am practicing Mindfulness. I am being totally present and choosing a better action in that present moment. (The veil is pulled aside, if only for a nanosecond.) If I then choose to watch a film, perhaps my choice of film will be more profound. My attention to the art of movie-making will be more conscious. My enjoyment will be more pronounced. I will see something that I might have overlooked all the other times I fast-forwarded to "the good parts". Everything will be enhanced because I have made a conscious choice.


At the end of the day, while I review my life before going off to sleep, I can breathe easier and give myself encouragement for the choices, instead of beating myself up with criticism for another lost afternoon. Even if I fail to follow through, I can practice a moment of Loving Kindness (to myself), forgiving this ignorant action and embracing a new attempt.


As we progress on this path, there is also the promise one may offer to oneself and the Universe: I want this change to be reflected in my life. No more mindless activity sucking me dry. (No more outrageous silliness that adds nothing to my quality of existence.) I want this change to be permanent and for good. Wow. By definition, "serious stuff".


I WANT my life to be worthy of serious attention. I WANT each action to reflect that. For the world. And, for myself.       

No comments:

Post a Comment