Sunday, April 20, 2014

DON'T BE SO PREDICTABLE!

In advertising, predictability is what is depended upon. People see something flashy, expensive, dream-like, fast, they are attracted to it, no matter what it is, does or promises. If something is "sexy", based on what the dominant culture has accepted and deemed "sexy", it sells. If it promises to rid our pain or alter unpleasant reality--no matter if it slowly kills us along the way--we want it. We desire it. We dream and pine for it. No matter what. (Even those among us who know better (supposedly), the secret fantasies and yearnings still arise.


If something causes us to flinch--because the pain is immediate--we move away. If something causes awkwardness, discomfort, embarrassment, our first action is to retreat. To avoid, if at all possible, in the future. To remove it from our environment, and hopefully, from our store of "good memories". This, too, is depended upon when Madison Ave starts a new commercial campaign. Humans are  creatures of predictable appetites and habits.


But what if we stopped, for a second? What if we took the time to realize that the car we will end up paying for over and over, via taxes, tolls, repairs, running fees and gas/oil/electricity, will sap us for years passed its utility? It doesn't get us dates, not really, and not for long, even glances. It doesn't pay our taxes nor find us employment. It causes us panic and worry that someone will scratch or steal it or get a better parking spot. We also worry that maybe it will mark us as a "target"--for crime. It raises our insurance rates. It takes up precious space in our consciousness. It becomes an object of obsession far longer than it is worth our attention.


What if we took a second to realize this before signing the loan app?


What if we realized that all the Pretty Promises are not real?  All the spendable income we put out to make us more "something" does nothing?  Honestly. Really. And, if any of it changes us, for how long does that change last?  Is it a fundamental change? Or, do we have to replicate the process once a month, forever, to keep it intact? Does it really add to our self image or does it just bleed our savings and let us down? Are we truly better for imbibing in it? (Heroin takes away all pain but it also takes away all consciousness...Is this the promise of a better life that we are seeking?)


Change is scary. It is difficult. It takes time and consideration--constant consideration at every move. As humans, it seems that we are not invested in taking that moment to consider what is good or what is better for us. As humans in this era, we are conditioned to want an immediate "fix". How can we not be? Look at our bombardment of media, pseudo-spirituality, fame-based culture (in the West)...of course grasping at what is promised to "fix us immediately" seems natural, seems reasonable, seems attainable. In fact, isn't it a perversity to not desire this immediate "perfection"?  I mean, who doesn't want to be loved? To be rich and famous? To have everything?


It's Easter Sunday. For the first time in decades, I've colored no eggs. I've filled no baskets for others. I didn't even listen to "Jesus Christ Superstar". I did watch a documentary on "The Coming Armageddon", and one on the restoration of the "Gospel of Judas". I did pray and I did meditate and I did think about egg hunts, bunnies, animal rights, chocolate, and family dinner with ham. I am worried about full-time employment, taxes (still), and friends with cancer. I got a haircut, shopped for birthday cards and ate a lot of Thai soup this weekend. Later, I will help with clean-up of the family Sunday dinner.


How predictable am I?
(I'm writing this blog entry. I have been reading a book about documented cattle mutilations in this country since the 1800s. I have taught all week at the High School and then tutored all week, in my students' homes. I have played with and fed and given insulin shots to the family dog. I have found creative ways to cover rust on my Subaru and paid to get new brake linings on the aging car. I have done four loads of laundry since dawn and have a last load to finish. What pain am I avoiding? What pleasure am I seeking? What haven't I looked at this Easter Sunday?)


Take a breath.
Again.
Is the dream still going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment