Wednesday, February 18, 2015

ECCENTRIC ENLIGHTENMENT

Aspiration: the last strength.


This one helps with all the merde that we sit in.  (All the merde we create, to sit in...)


I find I am not alone in this situation.
Every one of my friends who would label  himself or herself as a spiritual seeker seems to be a spiritual self-critic--and not in the best ways.  (At 12-Step meetings this also seems to be the rule, rather than the exception...We are so good at beating ourselves up for mistakes; for lapses; for wrong turns in our lives.)


As an educator, I know that real learning BEGINS with mistakes.
We need to know what we do NOT know in order to move forward. However, disliking ourselves for making those errors is not part of that journey. So, it is an easy leap to understand that letting go of the guilt (and hopelessness at the center of failure) is something to aspire to.


Speaking (thinking) our wishes for Enlightenment, aloud, to ourselves (for ourselves) is the way to begin. Reminding ourselves (out loud) is a road to empowerment. Voicing our aspirations strengthens them into reality. (This is a Buddhist exercise that is easy to practice, every day.) Openly reminding ourselves that it isn't about "what we want" but it is about "waking up" and realizing our power.

"May my work bless all whose path I cross this day."
"May I find peace within." 
"May I put others before myself."
"May I experience compassion for myself."


Whatever positive thoughts we aspire to, simply saying them aloud, to ourselves, where we are the only audience, might seem strange, at first, but, so what?  Depression, anxiety, regret, guilt, hate, impatience, upset--aren't these the real strangeness?


(I KNOW I was not born to be depressed. I did not come to this planet to hate. My destiny is not one of guilt and regret. Impatience makes me upset and being upset does no one any good--least of all, myself.)


 I have decided on the good. To be and to do good, to my highest capacity, for the greater good. Let my legacy be that I walked the path, best as I could, aspiring, ever, to be better, believing Enlightenment is attainable for us all.


"The Five Strengths are the heart instructions on how to live and how to die..."
                                                                               Pema Chodron  (START WHERE YOU ARE)


Namaste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment