Sunday, July 26, 2015

NEVER WANING GRATITUDE ?

"Pay heed that the three never wane..."
                                                            Teaching slogan


What "three" does this refer to?
Pema Chodron, Buddhist nun, explains that the lojong phrase is talking about gratitude: for the teacher, the teachings, the practices of this discipline. She also goes on to explain that the third point is to keep the basic vows of seeking to go into the world without a safety net; to remember and keep the Bodhisattva vow, which moves us beyond our own self-centered views of the world and our own opinions--nudging us (kick-starting us, really) into awakening our dead hearts and moving ourselves (as well as all sentient beings) further along the path.


Again, I am "blogging Buddhist adventures" here--my own short-lived experiences, (so far), and understandings. I am not a teacher of Buddhism. I am a student. I am sharing my writing and musings because that is something I CAN do. It is also something that is encouraged by most Buddhist teachers because only by sharing can we help each other along the path. This path: Life. So, for what it's worth, here are my exploits thinking about this lojong phrase.


Our teachers can be anyone. The Buddha rather pointedly explained this. However, I believe this phrase is also referring to specific teachers we have known to stay with us on our journey. These teachers never gave up on us--even as we screamed, cried, gave up on ourselves, and sometimes, even on them! Being forever grateful to my teachers is not something that I take lightly. If ever I honestly feel humble, it is in the presence of these beings of Light. I may grumble, I may protest, I may even argue or try to avoid their lessons, but in the end, I always benefit. I follow their words; their deeds; their insights. Sometimes slowly. Other times, it is instantaneous. (Usually after a terrible event...sigh...) So, into the world, ALL THANKS AND HONOR to my TEACHERS.


Next: gratitude for the teachings.  These include all the access I have, as an American, to books, articles in magazines, translations, classes, videos and the postings and blogs on the Internet. This includes translations I can receive and read and ponder on my own. These also include, of course, the one-on-one teachings from my Teachers. ALL my teachers. This goes back to the Buddha: the One who explained Enlightenment; lived it; offered his interpretation of it, and how we might understand our own lives better. I know that these teachings have made my life more compassionate in a very concrete way. I know they have "entered into me" in such a way that my philosophy of life is less agro; less desperate; less competitive; even, less angry.


It has not replaced Christianity, for me, as I believe Buddhist teaching is NOT a religion. It is a philosophy and an education about being in this dimension --in a much more detailed way--than religion can do. Religion is a matter of faith.  However, there are so many codes and warring standards--so many conflicts among every sect--"religion" has left me in confusion and frustration.




In an ironic way, the study of Buddhist principles has made me a better Christian; a better human. I cannot be like Jesus because I don't know enough about the nuts and bolts of Christ's life. (Too many conflicting stories; too many loose interpretations; too many scandals and hurtful practices by those who are supposed to clarify Christ's teachings and make them accessible in this world.) But I want to believe. So, I rely on "faith". However, the "owner's manual" to humanity seems to be Buddhist teachings on behavior and motivation. I want to "love my neighbor as myself". Buddhist philosophy gives me actual practices of mind and heart to become that loving person. (It's, for me, like therapy for my soul.) Buddha never claimed to be God. He never even claimed to be the Son of God. However, Buddha did have some tools to help me along the journey to God. Or Om.




Some Buddhists will disagree. That's okay. That's Buddhist, too! But, they won't fight about it and kill each other over their different interpretations. (Something Christians need to learn!) They won't hate each other nor excoriate each other about these things. As Buddhism has traveled country to country, it has changed. It has embraced cultures and made spaces for different people. (Again, something Christianity is far behind in.)  Perhaps I am all wrong about both. If so, I believe I will ultimately find my way to Truth. But for now, I have gratitude for the teachings and the teachers. All.




The last point that needs to be remembered are the vows one makes when one is ready. These include finding refuge, not in the outside world and its dreamspaces, but within ourselves. Within a community, however far-flung, which respects our journeys. Finding refuge in those who have gone before us and lit the darkness for us, like the Buddha. (You can study Buddhism and not take these vows, ever. However, it is likely, as the years progress and your heart begins to unfold, you will begin to live them.)




The Bodhisattva vow is harder to understand. My "take" on this is that we can choose to live as a bodhisattva (or choose to come back, after death, as one) by making every living moment mindful; prayerful; actively seeking to help all sentient beings wake up from this illusion and become free. Again, the irony is the parallel between what Jesus did with his day- to- day life and what Buddha did!  Compassion, compassion, compassion. Enlightenment. Teaching. All Love. No judgment. No hate. Highest Love. They were and are different Beings, but what they held out to us, as humans, was wrapped in ultimate peace.



Someday I will understand the vows of the Bodhisattva, completely. For now, I think of all the saints that  have come down through the ages...unsung as well as famous. Persons of Light whose only goals were to assist all sentient beings they encountered.


I know it goes deeper than just this simplistic view--as all of my Buddhist studies do. For now,  however, this is what I have to share.




So, be grateful.
Be open.
Be awake and aware.
 Love without stopping--even if it is hard or hurts or makes you (us) afraid.




Namaste.


      

1 comment: